This classic Italian cake makes a great dessert or snack - I even have it for breakfast sometimes! And because it’s made with olive oil it’s a healthier alternative to desserts made with butter.
- 3 large eggs (ideally room temperature)
- 1 lemon
- 2 oranges
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- ¾ cup all purpose flour (I used Italian 00, but cake flour is good too)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Icing sugar for dusting
- 1 small pack(standard 16 grams package) of Italian vanilla powder yeast(I use Pane degli angeli or Bertolini brand), it can be substitute with 2 tsp baking powder and a touch of vanilla extract.
- Prepare a 9” or 10” cake pan with parchment paper or buttered and floured to avoid sticking.
- Preheat the oven to 375° (regular bake setting, not convection)
- Sift the flour and mix well with the powder yeast.
- Zest the lemon and oranges and keep aside.
- Juice the lemon and oranges.
- Add eggs and sugar into a kitchen mixer (or into a bowl if you’re using an hand-held).
- Mix well at high speed for 2 minutes or until the contents double in volume.
- Keep mixing and very slowly pour in the olive oil. Then slowly add the lemon and orange juice.
- Lower the speed to minimum and slowly add the flour.
- Once the flour is well mixed, add the zest and combine thoroughly using a spatula. In case it looks too loose, feel free to add more flour since some oranges and eggs are different in size.
- Pour the mix into the pan and bake for roughly 40 minutes or until it is lightly browned on top.
- Once ready, remove from cake pane, but carefully to avoid sticking.
- Dust with icing sugar and let it cool before serving.
- I prefer to use butter and flour instead parchment paper, in this case use a cake pan with removable sides other wise the cake can stick easily to the bottom.
- Since you’re using zest, I prefer to use organic lemons and oranges.
- Use a medium to good quality olive oil, but not the most expensive stuff - you don’t need to break the bank.
- The vanilla powder yeast is easily available at any Italian shop - it’s an Italian Mamma’s standard ingredient for baking!