This is the most popular dish at my summer supper club and it’s surprisingly easy to make.
We Italians believe that if you have a great quality piece of meat then you shouldn’t have to do much to it, and luckily here in Canada high quality beef is widely available.
2-inch thick T-bone or rib steak
Good quality coarse sea salt
Good quality extra virgin olive oil
- Take the steak out of the fridge an hour before cooking, you want it around room temperature when it goes on the grill.
- Cut excess fat off the steak before placing it on the grill to avoid excessive flaming.
- Light a charcoal BBQ and let the charcoal reach ash colour, so it’s extremely hot but will not flame too much.
Grilling the steak
- Place the meat on grill raw – without any oil or seasoning. It will cook fast – 4-5 minutes on each side will do. If it’s getting too dark don’t worry about moving it around a little.
- The final step for grilling it so stand the steak up on it’s bone side on the lowest heat point of your BBQ for 3-4 minutes. The meat will cook a little more and you’ll get some additional grilled flavour on the bone side.
- Remove from the grill and let rest for 10 minutes. Cover with lightly with aluminum foil – we do not want to steam the steak, just prevent it from getting cold on the outside.
- Remove the bone and extra fat from the steak, and slice into ¼ inch strips.
- Arrange on a platter, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with sea salt before serving.
Tips and Notes
- I’ve tried many ways of making this Florentine: with rosemary, sage and thyme, and with marinating it ahead of time, but I found in the end this simple method is the best way to make a fiorentina. The most important thing is to get the best quality steak you can – believe me it’s worth it!
- Another tip is to not over touch and turn the steak unless the flame is too big
- Every grill is a little different so you may have to try this a few times and slightly adjust the grill times before it is perfect to your liking.
- Sometimes when I have guests, I’ll make the steak in advance and keep it at room temperature. When they come I put the steak in the preheated oven at 400 for 15-17 minutes.